Sunday, November 15, 2009

How I write, on this sunny Sunday morning.


Good morning to all you wonderful ladies and gentlemen reading this.  I hope you've had one fabulously extraordinary weekend.  Mine has been pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.

Yesterday our oldest daughter had her very first school dance.  It was very sweet, and really only the tip of the iceberg for her.  She's in 7th grade and this was a two hour "social" at school.  She wore jeans, a black t-shirt, black heeled boots, and her jean jacket.  I fixed her hair and put her very first full face of make-up on.  She was so excited.

There was no date for this dance.  She met up with all her friends, and from what I hear they had a fantastic time.  She even brought a friend home when I picked her up.  We ended up with a sleepover buddy, but they were very well-behaved and had fun. 

I had a great writing day yesterday.  Today, once I find the time to write, I'll hit the halfway point.  25K here I come!  I can't believe the month is half over.  I wasn't even planning to do NaNo this year, so it's no wonder that I probably won't be finishing early this year.  However, I know I will at least finish on time.  Woohoo!

I love how a story starts out one way, you have an idea of how it's all going to go, and them *WHAM* it takes a turn you weren't expecting and the entire story changes.  I had a character in this story who was going to be a helper in the story.  However, things went dark and he's actually turned into the bad guy!!  Eek!  I wasn't expecting that one!  It's very exciting to see where my characters go and down what paths they'll take me.

I'm a character driven writer.  I let them take the lead in a story.  I have an "idea" of what the story will be about, or what the ending will be, but I never know how my characters will create the ending.  I couldn't imagine being the type of writer who plots the entire story out from beginning to end.  I actually tried to do that once and the story went so far off of my story outline that I couldn't believe I'd even tried it that way.

One thing that I love about being this kind of writer is the fact that even I don't know what will happen next.  I've had moments with all of my books where I will literally say out loud, "Wow! I wasn't expecting that to happen."  Tim just looks at me like I'm nuts, but it's true.  LOL.  I really didn't know that was going to happen next until my fingers type it out.

So anyway, that's how it works for me.  I let the characters take me where they may and I'm simply along for the ride.  :-)

Right now I have banana bread in the oven.  Once it's done, I have to get dressed, take the oldest's friend home, and head to the hospital to visit Tim's mom. 

She's still in intensive care, with no hint of when she'll be moved to a regular room.  They're saying this hospital visit will be a long one for her, and the doctors were even discussing life support wishes with both her and FIL.  And when we were up there Friday, the nurses had been discussing the option of putting a breathing tube down her throat.  It doesn't sound good to me.

I'm off!  If anyone wants fresh banana bread, come on over!  There'll be plenty for sharing.  :-)  Have a great day!


5 comments:

  1. I was at the La Jolla writer's Conference last week and got some great advice/feedback about being more character driven in my novel. I'm such a character driven reader, but I'd failed to slow down the story enough in my MS to let the reader connect with my characters. This feedback, from the great Jane Green, probably has saved my book. So I enjoyed your post today and am working hard to listen to my characters as I go through another revision.

    Hope the MIL gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat to read that you dont know where your characters will take you. Not being a writer myself, I have a hard time understanding that concept. As I read your words I'm thinking to myself how can she not know? She's the one writing...

    I'm sorry to hear his mom is not getting better. That's hard. I will continue to send healing thoughts to him & his mom.

    oh & that bread ... yeah, save me a slice! If only I could just drive over to grab some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reading and posting ladies!

    It's definitely hard to explain to readers who don't write.

    Basically, when I sit down to write I have no idea where the story will be when I stop writing. The characters are "real" people with their own ideas about how they want things done. Sure, they come from me, but I have to let them develop and move about in their own little world, at their own pace.

    I think a lot of writers simply overthink their stories beforehand and refuse to let the stories nove beyond the previously created outline. That's why there are so many unfinished manuscripts tucked away in computer files, notebooks, backs of closets.

    There I go rambling again. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these posts! I think it is so interesting to hear how you get your story and I love listening to your descriptions of the characters writing it and you not expecting them to go into some of the places you end up. It is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you sweetie. I know that many people like to hear about the process, but I'm never sure if I'm trying to tell non-writers too much. Like they read it and wonder what the hell I'm talking about. LOL!

    I'm glad you liked the entry. I'll try to do more "my process" entries from time to time. :-)

    ReplyDelete