Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Love Hurts

CMSeter on SXC
Authors love their books, almost as much as they love their children. Our books are our babies, in a sense. But sometimes the love we hold for our stories, characters, books can hurt when other people don't love our work as much as we do.

Reviews are a part of being a writer. You're going to have people who love your work and happily tell the world about it. And then you'll have the people who for some odd reason think your work belongs in the recycle bin.

Reviews are opinions, plain and simple.  Everyone has an opinion and we're not always going to agree. Opposing opinions are what makes the world go 'round. What do you do when someone disagrees with you in the real world? Do you scream and holler and cry? Or do you try your hardest to respect their opinion, yet hold true to your own beliefs?

I would hope that you'd understand that others have opinions they feel as strongly about as you do.  The goal as a writer is to take the good with the bad, while staying true to yourself and your characters.  Keep writing, moving forward, taking on the world with your unique style and gusto. And always remember that the world would be a very boring place if we were all the same.

How do I handle bad reviews?
I bitch and moan to one author friend and my sister. I might even tell my husband if it's really, really bad.  And after a day or two of being pissed and talking it out with my peeps, I move on. I jump back into whatever it was I was working on when the notion to check my books' reviews hit me and ruined my mood. I talk to my characters, especially Liz Baker (she has great insights), and then I get back to work.

So what if Sue Pissy Pants hates my writing and thinks anything I would ever write will be utter trash.  "Hey, you, don't read it if you don't like it!" Even the bests of the bests have haters.  It's up to us, as authors, to let the haters be haters without allowing them to distract us for too long.

Sure, it's hard to look past someone telling the world they hate you and everything you stand for, even though they know nothing about you personally.  But stand tall, be brave, pull those thorns from you heart, and get back to work.  You must be doing something right, after all, to garner that much attention from a complete stranger.

Have a great day & keep writing!

2 comments:

  1. OH, and yeppers, I know why so many are writing blogs about reviews be it bad or good. But I do recall each of us having at least that one very special *bi*ch* ...lovely person who felt the need to make sure they hit each and every site saying horrid things...just to prove what a true hater that they could be. That was actually one case that I felt that they were just being ugly 'why I don't think was ever found out and we all know I tried..LOL'...well...other than it was just down right ugly. And you my sweet friend know just who I am talking about. I am dealing with a case where things were said that it didn't matter .... a point would be made no matter...Plus, before the release, three of my sites were hit and I just ended closing one...some things are a wee bit different in some cases....Guess there is nothing we can do but get a bit pissed and make sure our hubby's, what close peeps we have don't mind listening...*Wink*..and hope like hell it's not the cook who is slamming us....MOM!!! LMAO Just kidding , MOM....she doesn't even know how to turn on a computer...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I highly doubt your mom would ever be so vengeful and mean. ;)

    True words, babe. Some people are just spiteful and don't feel like they have a fulfilled life without causing others pain. We definitely know about "those" kind of people. No matter what you do they'll never be happy with anything unless they're making others unhappy. <3

    ReplyDelete