Monday, January 14, 2019

January Observances: National Oatmeal Month

Image from Yaroslav B
It's National Oatmeal Month! How do you like your oatmeal? 

Lately, I've been trying out a ton of "overnight oats" recipes (thank you, Pinterest!) and it's a lot different than cooked oats. After eating hot oatmeal all my life it's a little weird to eat them cold, but not bad if you find the right combination of goodness to add to it. My newest favorite is a brown sugar and cinnamon combination and then I throw in a tablespoon full of a tropical trail mix. The pineapple and bananas kind of soften after being in the fridge overnight, and the coconut gives it a nice flavor.

The overnight oats make it easy for me to grab the jar out of the fridge, throw it in my lunch bag with a protein shake and my lunch, before heading to the gym early in the morning. After a good workout I can sit anywhere and peacefully eat my breakfast and drink my shake without having to worry about finding a microwave. And then it's off to the day job!

Granted, you can do a lot more with oatmeal than eat it for breakfast. Cookies and breads are quite popular, but for me it will always be a healthy breakfast.

What do you put in your oatmeal?


No comments:

Post a Comment