Sunday, October 11, 2009

Just don't...

Good morning ladies & gents.  It's Sunday once again.  We're going down to visit Tim's parents in about an hour since we're going to be out of town next weekend.  Other than that, I have no other plans aside from book work once we return.  I did all that terrible laundry yesterday, and the house is nicely clean.  Yay!

Over the years that I've been a writer, I've discovered that there's a code of conduct that many people don't understand when they contact a writer.  I receive large amounts of emails on a daily basis from people who like my work or want something from me because they know I'm a writer.  This morning, one finally struck a nerve with me.

1. -- Don't ask an author if they're making money from their books.  It's rude.  Would you walk up to a random person and ask, "So, how much do you make a year?"  There are some things that are none of your business, no matter how well you know someone--or don't.  Do you really expect them to tell you?

2. -- Don't contact a writer to ask them if they'd like to read your manuscript and offer advice.  We don't.  We have our own work to read & edit.  We have our own lives to live and most of us barely have as much time with our friends and family as we'd like to have.  Do your own work; we do.

3. -- Don't contact a writer to say that you have this awesome idea and thought they'd like to write it for you.  No, we don't.  We have enough of our own ideas, and not enough time to work on them like we want.  Again, do your own work.

4. -- If you haven't seen the writer review products on their blog, don't ask them to review yours.  This is what set me off this morning.  I received an email from a "company" wanting me to review their photo software on my blog.  Does this look like a review blog?  Have I ever reviewed a product like that?  If they've read the blog they'd know the answers are NO.

Now keep in mind that this list is my personal preference, but many writers have shared the same thoughts on this subject.  Some actually do editing work on the side, so ghost write (writing a book for someone else to claim as their own), and some don't mind telling you how much they make a year.  However, if you don't know the writer, haven't seen them advertise their editing and/or ghost writing service, then please, don't ask them this kind of stuff.  It's annoying and it takes our time away from our own work and family just to respond to your emails and questions.

Anyway, there are my rants for today.  Now I have to go get dressed for the day.  I'm looking forward to getting back home and finishing off my book edit inputting.  Watch out test readers, it'll be on the way soon!  Woohoo!

1 comment:

  1. Apparently some people just don't think. Here's hoping you have a good week, Christie!

    ReplyDelete