Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wanna Know Wednesday #35

Good Hump Day morning to you all out there.  We're smack dab in the middle of the week, with the weekend on its way.  Are you having a good week so far?  Accomplishing a lot, or even a little?  If not, you still have plenty of time to turn your week around and end it with a bang.  :-)

I've been hitting the book hard this week.  I finished editing two more chapters yesterday and will do four, or more today (I don't write articles on Wednesdays).  That'll leave two for me to do tomorrow and Friday will be for focusing completely on the ending; I know I have major rewrites for it.  Then Saturday I'll print it all out again and just read.  Ahhhh...

I'm tired this morning so I'll get right into this week's Wanna Know Wednesday.  :-)

10 Things I Do When I Write a Book
  1. Write/Type out a main character description--likes, dislikes, favorite foods, tv shows, friends, family, etc.
  2. Create a general idea of the book's storyline.  The "idea" could be 1 page or 6, depending on how hard the plot hit me in the face when it came to me.  :-)
  3. Check my book of ideas to make sure this one isn't duplicated anywhere in there (hasn't happened yet, but you never know).
  4. Next up is a character list.  Time to pick out everyone who'll be in the story, give them names, appearances, how are they linked to the main.
  5. When I edit, I always do it on a printed paper copy and with a red ink pen.
  6. I listen to music when I write books.  Not so much with articles, but always with books.
  7. My first three novels took six months each to complete.
  8. I like to have a solid stretch of time alone to work.  I can't think and stay "in the zone" when the kids are running around & needing my attention at numerous times.  I think that's why this book hasn't gotten finished in 6 months.  LOL.
  9. Test readers always make me nervous.  I love hearing the good things, but dread hearing the bad.  Even reviews on already released books give me butterflies (though I've never hear anything bad... yet).
  10. I feel such a wav of relief wash over me when I'm able to finally declare that a book is done.  Well, a book is never really done.  There will be more edits when the editors get ahold of it, but the major stuff is generally DONE.  :-)

That's it for this morning.  I need to go get dressed and take the punks to school.  Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. "first three novels took six months each to complete." Wow, that's amazing!

    These tips make a lot of sense, thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, there is a lot you do before you write your book. It must work, because your books are pretty darn good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww! Thank you very much, Patsy.

    Lots of love,

    Christie

    ReplyDelete