Thursday, December 24, 2009

Thursday Thoughts #12: Holiday Foods


Happy Christmas Eve to all of you who celebrate it.  Do you have any big plans for today?  I figured I'd go ahead and post this entry while I had a few free minutes to do so.

I currently have a turkey in the oven that's been cooking for just at an hour now.  It'll be done just in time to take it down to the in-laws' house fresh out of the oven.  I'll also warm up some homemade dinner rolls that I made last week and put in the freezer.  Everyone loves those dinner rolls!

We'll be eating and then opening gifts.  Their living room floor will be littered with discarded, torn, shredded gift wrap paper, along with empty boxes and those awfully frustrating toy packages that take four adults and numerous cutting utensils to get into.  But all in all, we'll have a good time and walk away with full stomachs and happy children.

After all of that, we'll have just enough time to bring our new gifts home, pick up more gifts and food, and head over to my sister's house for the family fun for my side of the family.  For my side, we always do a buffet-style dinner with finger sandwiches, chips and dips, desserts, and numerous other goodies.  I'm taking my bbq smoked sausages (as per requested by my sister).

What is it about holiday foods that make us want to scarf them down with mucho gusto?  Why does cheesecake give us such a happy feeling during this time of the year, and yet we look at it with calorie-laden disgust (though secretly lust for it) the rest of the year?

I love holiday foods!  I even permit myself to enjoy any and all of it during the holidays (with special awareness of how much though).  Yet, if someone were to offer me pecan pie with a mountain of whipped cream on top at any other time of the year, I would graciously decline.

Maybe it's the cold winter months.  This time of the year makes many people feel like eating and hibernating.  What better to indulge in than the happiness of holiday foods!

Nonetheless, no matter why we eat it, I'll always look forward to those holiday meals, treats and desserts that only taste their bests during this time of the year.

Merry Christmas Eve to you all!  I hope you have a wonderful, love-filled day.

No comments:

Post a Comment